With society abuzz in Fargo, demand for cold storage increased. The company kept up with that demand by adding a commercial cold storage unit, the first of its kind in the tri-state area.
Construction on the residential side of The Historic Union building was completed in October 2015, during which time the community's first residents moved in.
The Historic Union welcomed Karges-Faulconbridge, Inc., to the building's third floor.
The Bower Bros. constructed a warehouse on the 1000 block of Northern Pacific Avenue, a landmark that is now home to Historic Union residents and local businesses.
Union Storage extended its services and became an agent for Allied Van Lines, Inc. They supplied quality, trusted services for moving domestic goods to and from places in the United Stated and Canada.
The Historic Union is made up of the former Union Storage & Transfer Cold Storage and Armour Creamery buildings. The architect was William F. Kurke, and the loft building is one of North Dakota's best examples of art deco style in industrial architecture.
These two buildings make a very important contribution to the historic character of Fargo's downtown railroad corridor and they are reflective of the importance of the local early 20th Century warehouse distribution network.
Pixeled Brewing Co. moved in to the commercial side of the building and is now a thriving beercade and dowtown hot spot.
1026 NP Avenue, LLC, purchased the long-empty building. which for a time, was at risk of being demolished. The company began the historic preservation process.
Well-known human resources, team-building and employee development company, Dale Carnegie, calls The Historic Union home.
The Historic Union combines spaces for work collaboration and comfortable downtown living. We have preserved the integrity and beauty of this historic space, allowing it to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Historic Union offers modern loft apartment homes that honor the historic characteristics of the building, including exposed ceilings, beams and original brick.
Commercial and retail space is available with plenty of onsite parking in downtown Fargo. The commercial and retail space has convenient access between 10th Street and University Drive. The space boasts floor to ceiling windows, historic wood timber construction and exposed brick walls.
While the nation was reeling in drought and debt, the Union Storage & Transfer Cold Storage Warehouse became a beacon of opportunity for people looking for solid, stable employment.
The demand for household goods and services because vital to the community and railroad. Building operators added complete goods storage, as well as packing and moving services.
Warehouse "C" was constructed at 806 to 810 Norther Pacific Avenue. The fireproof structure has an ultra-dry basement where perishable goods could be stored without fear of spoilage.
Construction on the commercial side of The Historic Union continues as business tenants build to meet their specific needs.
Along with the name change came a team of managers and directors, including: B.L. Bertel and Mrs. K.B. Bertel, S.J. Schneider, Fred S. Kedney and H.E. Dixon.
As business picked up, Bower Bros, replaced horse-drawn equipment with engine-powered trucks to provide quick, quality service to the railroad and Fargo customers.
The Union Transfer Company was founded in 1906. In those days, workers used hand-pulled elevators to move goods floor-to-floor and horse-drawn dray wagons to deliver freight to rail stations. Pictured are women sorting eggs in the creamery, circa 1930s.
The Historic Union